Subjectdevfs again (was RE: [linux-usb] Re: USB device allocation)
> userspace, though, and I hope most people would agree with me.  Why
> don't we try to design that interface first, and I suspect
> the rest will
> follow relatively easily.

what about the current devfs, but without the filesystem code?

ie a central kernel devfs layer to handle accept driver registrations and
communicate with daemon.

daemon to handle updating the already existing /dev on filesystem?

Would such a solution be acceptable? It seems a decent compromise between
Richards full-blown devfs, and the minimal user-space daemon/scripting
approach favoured by others. Plus we can retain some of the existing devfs
code, and the API it has established.

Paul Jakma.