SubjectRe: tulip driver in 2.1.11* - 2.1.21 is broken - new driver

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, David S. Miller wrote:

> One driver doesn't much help, especially not this late in the game. I want
> a 2.2 out the door.
>
> Then stop talking about turning the network driver interface upside
> down by changing the interface. Instead let's just fix the bugs and
> get this out the door, do it right with massive changes in 2.3.x

I _really_ don't want to change the interface. I want to get rid of BROKEN
CODE. And I'd do so by making sure such broken code cannot be compiled:
compilers are better at checking simple errors than humans tend to be.

Alan already set me right on some of my assumptions, and his comments to
my proposal made tons of sense.

Right now we have known broken drivers, and some of that breakage is due
to them just completely incorrectly handling tbusy. I'd like to make a
clean break by getting rid of it, and re-introducing a thing that is
documented and not mis-used.

It's way too easy to just add new broken members. We need to clean cruft
out too.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.252 / U:0.996 seconds]