    SubjectRe: tulip driver in 2.1.11* - 2.1.21 is broken - new driver

    Linus> On Sat, 19 Sep 1998 wrote:
    >> Actually, there is one problem now, which makes this discussion
    >> academic. We stand on the edge now. Seems, it is not widely known
    >> fact, but current Linux CANNOT handle >~100Mbit interfaces.

    Linus> It seems that you're not aware that people are already doing
    Linus> ATM and getting reasonable throughputs (apparently mainly
    Linus> limited by memory bandwidth).

    Ehhhm, ATM is slow ;-).

    Linux talks quite happily on HIPPI[1] networks, in fact with a dual P2
    400MHz 440BX box I am able to compete with Sun, DEC and SGI (the
    performance I've seen in AIX is a lot lower). Basically I have seen
    the box do 75MB/sec on receive with single stream TCP, and IP
    checksums computed by the kernel (a 440LX dual 300MHz does 50-60MB/sec
    or something like that). Better memory bandwidth and I believe I can
    go even higher.

    [1]: HIPPI is an 800Mbit/sec switched network, for those who are
    interested in more info about HIPPI and Linux/HIPPI, you might want to
    take a look at my LinuxExpo paper from earlier this year, at - please notice the
    performance figures are severely outdated ;-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:35.640 seconds]