    SubjectRe: Linux, UDI and SCO.
    19-Sep-98 17:34 you wrote:
    > Erik Corry wrote:

    >> > Not at all. LGPL will be 100% enough for such purposes.
    >> I see no way of forcing hardware manufacturers to use LGPL.
    >> The only way would seem to be to not put UDI in the official
    >> kernel, but there are sure to be distributions that put it
    >> in anyway (Xi graphics will, I would guess) and individuals
    >> will always be free to do so.

    > Ummmmm.... That's really easy. 1st case: change the kernel license to
    > disallow commercial drivers. 2nd case: change the module code to only
    > load drivers containing the right string in the right place. That
    > string would of course be a protected certification mark. These are
    > sort of ugly and rude. Can anyone think of something nicer?

    This is not really needed. Inclusion of OSD-compiance in USD-certification
    will be enough :-) Since "Big Boss" (who will sign checks :-) is aware that
    certified driver is "Good Thing" while non-certified driver is "Bad Thing"
    (even if he is not aware what's driver is in first place :-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:17.352 seconds]