SubjectRe: UDI and Politics (was Re: Linux, UDI and SCO.)
Hello;

Alan raises a rather interesting point which had not occurred to me.
Upon digging a little deeper, it would seem that several of the Project
UDI backers are also backers of the I2O consortium. Alan's analogy is
therefore very enlightening. Either the left hand does not know what
the right hand is doing, or they do what they are doing and Linux and
the Linux Community are the target.

Consider this:

From http://www.sco.com/udi we know the following:
HP, SCO, Sun, Lockheed-Martin, InterPhase, Compaq/Digital,
IBM, Intel, and Adaptec are backers.

From http://www.i2osig.org/SIG/Members98.html we know the following:

Steering Committee Members
Adaptec
Hewlett-Packard Company
Intel Corporation
Microsoft Corporation
NetFRAME Systems Incorporated
Novell, Inc.
Symbios
Wind River Systems

Contributing Members:
Compaq Computer Corporation
Digital Equipment Corporation
InterPhase Corporation
SCO
SunSoft, Inc.

It seems that all of the known Project UDI with the exception of IBM
are also backers of I2O. What is even more interesting is that Adaptec,
Hewlett-Packard, and Intel are Steering Committee Members. Nearly all
others are contributing members, with again IBM being the noticeable
exception.

With this new information, I do believe we the Linux Community have
found the "currency of trade". Project UDI has clearly stated that
they want/need the Linux Community helps. The price will be the
following:

I2O becomes totally open, just like Project UDI, in fact I2O
would use the following to indicate this:

(This is taken straight from the Project UDI Policies and Procedures
Document dated November 5th, 1995, I edited specifically for I2O)

<Begin Quote>
1. Purpose
The purpose of the I2O working group is to define and promote
a technical specification for high-performance I/O systems.

Participation in the specification process includes a number of
OS vendors and IHVs, and is open to new participants at any time.

Intelluctual Property

The I2O specification is intended to be publicly available for
implementation by anyone, whether or not they are participants
in the working group.

The _definition_ of any specification developed by the working
group will be placed in the public domain, not subject to copyright,
patent, or any other intellectual property right, so that any party
may implement or utilize the specification. However, any party may
develop and assert intellectual property rights over a particular
_implementation_ of the interface.
<End Quote>

That I suggest is the price for our help.
If Project UDI does not like the price, we do as Alan has suggested,
ignore them.

The more I think about this the more I like it.

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

entertaining angels
by the light of my computer screen
24-7 you wait for me
entertaining angels
while the night becomes history
host of heaven, sing over me
==Entertaining Angels==Newsboys

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.120 / U:0.396 seconds]