SubjectRe: 2.1.107 driver hard locks w/DMA
Tchi Southivong wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Rogier Wolff wrote:
>
> >> hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> >> hdb: dma_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
>
> > This is just the driver that is reporting that the drive is reporting
> > an error. Usually you'll see things like "UncorrectableECCError".
> > That's a clear indication that there is a bad block on your drive.
>
> Uh really ? Hum wait a minute...
> [...]
>
> Ok i've rebooted 2.0.33 and run e2fsck -c on my drive and it doesn't
> report any error or bad blocks... Moreover, i've never seen things
> like "UncorrectableECCError".
>
> > In this case the drive might by trying to say that doing something at
> > the wrong moment. However most likely I think that the heavy use
> > simply triggers an (it seems innocent) bug in the firmware.

Exactly!

> The drive is an IDE Quantum Lightning 730A, is it known to has a buggy
> firmware ?

No, but it is also NOT known to have 100% bug-free firmware.

My own system has a 5GB MAXTOR drive. Very nice, very fast,
but if Linux chucks too much data too quickly at it (something
that Windows is unable to achieve), then the drive reports an
error just like the one you are seeing.

In both of our cases, the Linux IDE driver correctly just retries
the operation. No harm done.
--
mlord@pobox.com
The Linux IDE guy