SubjectRe: MO problems...
Hi Michael.

> Hello,
>
> I am using a M2513 device for more nearly a year now. There were
> problems with the earlier 2.0.x Kernels, where 2048 byte sectors were
> unsupported both in the SCSI drivers and the ext2 Filesystem. As far as
> I know, everything should work with 2.0.34, and it will definitely work
> under current 2.1.x kernels.

Nope. 2.0.34 doesn't support 2048 bytes per sector but the known patches
will go in rather smoothly. ext2 is fine with 2.1.xxx, however I suspect
vfat's still having some minor issues. For example cat'ting an mp3-File
from MO will work, but when I try to run mpg123 on it the binary will
leave a dead process. But debugging this is on my todo list. :)

> What I have never done is to partition the media - in my opinion using
> more than one partition on MOs is futile - and changing between disks
> with a different number of partitions could be hazardous to Windows, i
> think :-)

Not to partition your media is a good idea but if you have to share your
data with WinNT you don't have an option as NT doesn't understand the
superfloppy format yet. Up to now I haven't managed to get NT partitioned
media to work with 2.1.x, they do okay with a patched 2.0.3x though.

> So, to format MO's with VFAT filesystem I am using the windows-formatter
> provided by fujitsu (to be found on their web-server), and I create a
> superfloppy. Mounting these under linux works fine. (In case it doesn't
> for you, make sure you are using current versions of all programs
> involved)

I've put a modified version of mkdosfs on my webpage. This will allow
formatting media with 2048 bytes per sector as well. The syntax is similar
to mke2fs. Have a look at

http://homepages.uni-tuebingen.de/student/daniel.kobras/mkdosfs-patched.tar.gz

Regards,

Daniel.

P.S.: I'm about to put together a M2513-mini-HOWTO. Any hints, success (or
failure?) reports are welcome.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.027 / U:0.284 seconds]