SubjectRe: Bind to privileged (<1024) ports
On 1998-06-08, Winfried Truemper <winni@xpilot.org> wrote:

> is there a way to get a somewhat "lightweight" Posix 1.e? I'm thinking
> about an supplement for "if (!suser())" when binding to ports.
[snip]
> could allow a httpd running as UID 39 (which is associated with the login
> "httpd") to bind to port 80 without root-privileges. The table could be
> named /etc/bind_perm and activated by

> cat /etc/bind_perm > /proc/kernel/net/bind_perm

This comes up every once in a while. I'm aware of at least three
implementations, besides the emerging Capabilities project: Malcolm Beattie's
sockfs, which was a loadable module which gave you a pseudo filesystem you
could chown, chmod, etc ports on (pretty sweet), Todd Graham Lewis's PACL
patch (implemented a table of port ACLs), and another by ? which allows a
specific GID to bind to low ports (I can't remember who did this -- I thought
it was by SolarD but mebbe not -- and I can't find it in my archives).

You can find messages in linux-kernel discussing these, including patches
and/or locations for patches for the first two of the above, at:

http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=linux-kernel&s=bind+privileged+port

Hank Leininger <hlein@progressive-comp.com>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:0.836 seconds]