SubjectRe: 2.0.34 Kernel panics / Problems
Date
Alan Cox enscribed thusly:

> > >FAQ item. You need to say Y to NLS

> > Wouldn't it be better to leave the FAT/MSDOS/ISO9660 options active
> > all the time, but put a note on them saying that activating them will
> > turn on NLS?

> We had two choices. The first was to modify the patch for FAT32 etc to
> do this sort of smart NLS stuff. The second was to modify it. Since that
> patch was complex and large I didnt want to change it since it was
> 'known to work' as is.

On the whole... A wise choice, I think. However, I think that I
would have opted to make the NLS default to "yes" so that the surprises would
have been limited to those who took the proactive tack of disabling it. Some
of those would have connected cause and effect and might have realized that
their action did something there. Some brief note for "need by FAT/ISO9660"
on the NLS option might have also helped those using "make config" and "make
menuconfig". I personally think the immediate feedback on dependency switching
in "make xconfig" is wonderful. You see something greyed out and by switching
other options on and off you get an immediate feedback of the dependency. It
was pretty obvious on the xconfig screen as to what was going on...

> Alan

Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | mhw@WittsEnd.com