    Subjectunlink aggressively robs resources
    I've noticed this with 2.1.84, .86, and .103 kernels.  When you unlink
    large files on an ext2 disk, the machine becomes extremely choppy. Not
    only is disk bandwidth stolen almost completely for that operation, but
    the cpu also seems to be at a loss. The systems I'm using all have 512Mb
    of RAM, they're dual cpu, some are ppro 200s, some are p-ii 266s, some are
    p-ii 400s. They all have buslogic scsi, with ultrawide disks.

    I don't really have numbers to show this. But it's pretty easy to
    reproduce these sorts of situations. For example, create a couple 512Mb
    files and delete them at the same time, while trying to accomplish
    anything else (like a compile in the background).

    Other similar nonsense can be created with stuff like:

    while dd if=/dev/zero of=foo.$$ bs=4096 count=16384 1>/dev/null 2>&1 \
    && cat foo.$$ >/dev/null; do

    Run a few of those at the same time. They will saturate the disk, and
    anything else trying to use the disk will have no hope.

    I know this last example is abusive. But I don't think deleting large
    files is abusive.

    I can guess what's going on... but I wouldn't mind hearing it from folks
    more familiar with the code.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.018 / U:3.564 seconds]