    SubjectRe: Thread implementations...

    On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > The same is not true of any of the other cases for copying from one
    > source to another. Yes, I can imagine doing insanely clever things like
    > just copying skb's around from one socket to another, but it's by no
    > means obvious how to do it, nor whether it is a feature that I'd be
    > ready to support forever even if I had a initial implementation.

    i think all these copyfd() variations are pretty robust regarding the
    future, as they represent some kind of caching architecture, but on a much
    higher scale. For example, an fd->socket operation is a 'writeback'. A
    socket->socket transfer is a 'writethrough', a socket->fd is a 'cache
    fill' operation. So whatever higher level caching scheme (obviously with
    multiple hosts) we will have, these basic operations will likely to
    survive. (or die a big death together with all the other related concepts)

    the caches in question are the VM (memory containing information on which
    user-defined CPU routines can operate), kernel memory (central information
    container), disk(s) (mass persistant information container), and other
    hosts (complex but distant, information-producing entities) connected by
    some interface(s). The whole point being that this host should act as a
    complex information-producing entity too.

    [sorry if the formulation is a bit extreme, but i wanted to avoid quickly
    outdated terms :)] These caches and basic operations between them are i
    think not likely to go away anytime soon. And fds act as simple IO-channel

    in short: sendfile() is cool.

    -- mingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:74.908 seconds]