SubjectRe: Thread implementations...
On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Adam D. Bradley wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > nope, this is not how squid works. It wants a local copy of fetched
> > > documents as well. So squid wants to use sendfile() this way:
> > >
> > > sendfile(outsidesocket,localfile);
> > > sendfile(localfile,clientsocket);
> >
> > In addition to what other people have said about what squid does, remember
> > that, in general, you normally don't want your proxy to buffer the entire
> > file locally before it starts sending it to the client. That is horrible
> > for large files over slow links.
>
> This is one of the unfortunate problems with HTTP/1.1 - it always
> leans towards _semantic_transparency_, not _performant_transparency_.
> Read RFC2068 section 13.8 (p.91); a compliant HTTP/1.1 proxy "MUST NOT
> return a partial response to a client without explicitly marking it as
> such using the 206 (Partial Content) status code." Which means a

No. Read the section; it refers to a "cache", not a proxy. It is only
refering to what is done for future requests if it is cached, not for the
initial response.

(yea, I'm smart but this one was easy because I could walk across the room
and ask Roy Fielding)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.102 / U:0.712 seconds]