    SubjectRe: Thread implementations...
    On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Adam D. Bradley wrote:

    > On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

    > > > [...]
    > > >
    > > > nope, this is not how squid works. It wants a local copy of fetched
    > > > documents as well. So squid wants to use sendfile() this way:
    > > >
    > > > sendfile(outsidesocket,localfile);
    > > > sendfile(localfile,clientsocket);
    > >
    > > In addition to what other people have said about what squid does, remember
    > > that, in general, you normally don't want your proxy to buffer the entire
    > > file locally before it starts sending it to the client. That is horrible
    > > for large files over slow links.
    >
    > This is one of the unfortunate problems with HTTP/1.1 - it always
    > leans towards _semantic_transparency_, not _performant_transparency_.
    > Read RFC2068 section 13.8 (p.91); a compliant HTTP/1.1 proxy "MUST NOT
    > return a partial response to a client without explicitly marking it as
    > such using the 206 (Partial Content) status code." Which means a

    No. Read the section; it refers to a "cache", not a proxy. It is only
    refering to what is done for future requests if it is cached, not for the
    initial response.

    (yea, I'm smart but this one was easy because I could walk across the room
    and ask Roy Fielding)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.023 / U:1.084 seconds]