SubjectDMA problem?
I recently had to replace my motherboard (but not CPU), and I have
been encountering the following problems since:

Sound:

Trying to play a sound through /dev/dsp results in the error message:

Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

repeated about three times, following which the machine locks up hard --
ie. the capslock key won't change the status of the capslock LED.

CD-ROM:

Attempting to mount a CD-ROM in my ATAPI CD-ROM drive results in
the error message:

hdc: timeout waiting for DMA

and, again, the machine locks hard.
I can get the drive to work by disabling DMA with hdparm.

The sound problems are evident with both my PAS16 card, as well as a
WSS-clone sound chip built into the motherboard.

The problems appear in 2.1.106, as well as all of the 106ac patches. I
tried some old kernel images I had lying around -- in 2.1.100, the sound
problem is still present, but the sound will play for about 20 seconds
before crashing, instead of crashing immediately. 2.0.33 seems to work
fine. 2.1.106 worked fine on the old motherboard. (Neither 2.1.100 nor
2.0.33 would allow me to enable DMA on the CD-ROM) The crashes don't
leave any messages in the system logs.

The new MB is a Houston M570 with an SIS5513 chipset. The CPU is a Cyrix
PR150+.

Thank you.

--
-Sean Connor (sec@frodo.com) (sec@softhome.net)
____
| | Intel | | |
| | Inside | | | - OK, we'll have Ryouga take you there.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.169 / U:0.096 seconds]