SubjectProblem with TCP
In a nutshell, I'm running 2.0.33 of Linux (just upgraded from 2.0.30 to
see if the problem would go away and it didn't) on a Compaq 486 PC. For
the past several months, I've been experiencing problems that I have
been blaming on my HTTP server vendor to find out that it appears to be
a Linux problem.

I have identified a hand full of files including a copy of VMLINUZ,
several .GIF files, etc. that when I try and FTP them from this PC, and
in the case of the .GIF files, the HTTP server tries to send them, the
first 1k to 2k of the file is damaged... Why do I say that, I run
TCPDUMP capturing the packets and compare the contents of the packets to
the real file... TCP seems to think that the file is ok, because no
retransmissions occur but the ftp client hangs, the web browser hang,
etc...

I thought it might have been a kernel problem which is what prompted me
to upgrade to 2.0.33. Now I have this problem server using the SW base
3.3, and other PC's running 2.0.33 which work with the the newer 3.4 SW
base with the same .GIF files. Is it possible that there's a library
that I have that's out of date and buggy that could be effecting both
ftp and my HTTP server (which by the way is Roxen). I also know is not
Roxen's fault because Apache does the exact same thing and the Apache
logs show that the correct number of bytes have been send on the GET.

Another strange aspect of this problem is that even though I cannot
successfully download these files from the server, I can upload the same
files to it and when I perform a comparisons, they are identical.

I have very little hair left, so if ANY one can offer a suggestion,
please do so...

Best regards,

Barry

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.052 / U:0.992 seconds]