    SubjectRe: 2.1.10[56] parallel port problems - starts with 2.1.104
    On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Henrik Storner wrote:

    > I wrote:
    >
    > >In 2.1.105 and .106, printing is essentially broken for me. It seems
    > >as if "flow control" does not work - the print-outs I get have missing
    > >lines, garbled data and look just plain awful. Oddly, there seems to
    > >be no errors, warnings or other messages logged anywhere - as far as
    > >Linux and lpd are concerned, everything looks fine and dandy.
    >
    > I've narrowed down the problem to the parport patches that went into
    > 2.1.104. This update breaks printing on my system; using polled mode

    The parport patch 104 should be my work, it fix the printing for another
    guy that has problems with ECP dma. Today I am very busy (I had to replace
    a broken HD in a server at the ISP of my city where I work) then I' ll
    try to fix your problem but I need your help for the testing.

    At first I need to understand if your parallel port need a write in the
    ECR register and if it need 0xc as value.

    So please reverse the 104 patch and replace parport_write_econtrol(...,
    0xc) with parport_write_econtrol(..., 0x0) in probe_one_port if I remember
    well (I have no code here).

    > or interrupt-driven mode does not make any difference in the output.

    OK.

    > That I can use interrupt-driven mode is actually an improvement - until
    > now, that mode has always been 100% broken with my system. And indeed,
    > the patch does include a note that the interrupt handling was modified
    > to cater for a "buggy handshake" on some HP and Epson printers.

    The workaround was my work too. I' m happy to get good reports ;-).

    > >The printer is an Epson Color Stylus II.
    >
    > The parallel port is built into the motherboard, an FIC PA-2007 using
    > the VIA VP2 chipset. The BIOS setup of the parallel port is
    > * I/O port 0x378, IRQ 7
    > * EPP/SPP mode
    > * EPP type 1.9

    The parport patches should make no differences since with EPP mode the ECR
    register should not exists (and so writing to it should be a nosense).
    Also I use EPP in my parallel port and works like a charm.

    Can you show me a `cat /proc/parport/0/*`?

    > >The parport driver is completely modular, with options
    >
    > > alias char-major-6 lp
    > > alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
    > > options parport_pc io=0x378
    >
    > (I tried interrupt-driven mode by adding "irq=7" to that options-line).

    OK.

    > >Log messages when the module loads:
    > > parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2,EPP]
    > > parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.
    > > lp0: using parport0 (polling).

    Perfect.

    Be quiet with your help we' ll fix the problem soon.

    Andrea[s] Arcangeli

    PS. I have not the start of the thread here so excuse me it there are
    repetitions in this email.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.022 / U:32.540 seconds]