SubjectRe: 2.1.10[56] parallel port problems - starts with 2.1.104
I wrote:

>In 2.1.105 and .106, printing is essentially broken for me. It seems
>as if "flow control" does not work - the print-outs I get have missing
>lines, garbled data and look just plain awful. Oddly, there seems to
>be no errors, warnings or other messages logged anywhere - as far as
>Linux and lpd are concerned, everything looks fine and dandy.

I've narrowed down the problem to the parport patches that went into
2.1.104. This update breaks printing on my system; using polled mode
or interrupt-driven mode does not make any difference in the output.

That I can use interrupt-driven mode is actually an improvement - until
now, that mode has always been 100% broken with my system. And indeed,
the patch does include a note that the interrupt handling was modified
to cater for a "buggy handshake" on some HP and Epson printers.

>The printer is an Epson Color Stylus II.

The parallel port is built into the motherboard, an FIC PA-2007 using
the VIA VP2 chipset. The BIOS setup of the parallel port is
* I/O port 0x378, IRQ 7
* EPP/SPP mode
* EPP type 1.9

>The parport driver is completely modular, with options

> alias char-major-6 lp
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> options parport_pc io=0x378

(I tried interrupt-driven mode by adding "irq=7" to that options-line).

--
Henrik Storner | "testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good,