SubjectKernel debugger anyone?
Hi..

I'm just wondering about the inclusion of a real kernel debugger.. I was
playing around with NetBSD on my Dec VAXStation 3100, and the kernel
crashed, and up popped a nice debugging prompt. Is there some reason that
Linux doesn't do this? Wouldn't this feature seem infinitely useful,
compared to say a stupid boot logo or a new non existant linux
distribution??

I'm not overly up to date on the way the internals of the linux kernel
work, but could it be just a matter of linking gdb with the kernel? It
could be made a config option, or at the very least just a patch to the
sources.

The only real disadvantage I can see is the effort involved in
implementation, and maybe some might find the additional ram usage
unjustified??

Just my 2 cents..

Dave.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.063 / U:0.212 seconds]