SubjectRe: Bios

On Sun, 17 May 1998, C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 1998 Russell Berry <russ@berrex.com> wrote:
>
> > sorry to bring this up here, but this little thread just reminded me. I was
> > dealing with a little bios hacking a while back. An Award bios, and I was
> > using dosemu running debug to do the asm, and would have to boot into dos to
> > use the flash utility to extract bios code, and write the new bios code. Is
> > there anything around for linux to pull the code out of the bios and flash it
> > like the dos based awdflash.exe? Just wondering...
>
> I've got an even broader request: I'd appreciate pointers on bios hacking
> and tools in general. APM suspend-to-disk breaks on my machine and some
> others with Linux, and I'd like to disassemble my BIOS to figure out what
> this code is trying to do that Linux isn't liking. We adhere precisely to
> the official spec, but I have a feeling something's undocumented or
> assumed. Even DOS mode tools or pointers would be great: what's the
> easiest way to extract this code and analyze it?
> --Scott

The APM stuff is usually done inside an SMI which means you need to get
the chipset to map the SMI RAM into your memory space somewhere. On newer
chipsets this can be a once only deal per reset, consequently you won't be
able to do it once the BIOS has hidden the SMI RAM :-(

P.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.056 / U:0.076 seconds]