SubjectRe: Bios

On 18-May-98 Peter Horton wrote:
[some snippage]

> The APM stuff is usually done inside an SMI which means you need to get
> the chipset to map the SMI RAM into your memory space somewhere. On newer
> chipsets this can be a once only deal per reset, consequently you won't be
> able to do it once the BIOS has hidden the SMI RAM :-(
>
> P.

Well, I suppose I can make the bios cache it's contents into any unused segment
that I want, that it can get to that is. And that would easily make the bios
code available to me in the 32bit linux environment. But alas, it doesn't do
squat for helping me to write the code back to the chip because the REAL bios
is out of reach. Oh well. I'll just DOS boot and use debug as before when I
want to bios hack I suppose. :) Thanks to all who gave input, I appreciate
your efforts

---russ

Immortality -- a fate worse than death.
-- Edgar A. Shoaff

russ@berrex.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:1.292 / U:0.008 seconds]