SubjectRe: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux
On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Chris Evans wrote:

> > abitration. The problem is there is a penalty for that. A syscall costs time
> > and you have to really get the syscall count down to sane levels. A fast
> > graphics card can plot a line in less time than a syscall takes, so it
> > is a real hard issue
>
> Initially if we just aimed for mode switching in the kernel, maybe. Mode
> switching is very infrequent, and certainly not time critical. No-one is
> going to notice the extra overhead of an ioctl().
>
> But yes if accel requests get handled by the kernel we need to coalesce
> requests in userspace and transfer multiple commands to kernel space per
> syscall.
Just as it is done in Win32 - you can batch the GDI commands and then flush
them when you're done.

TTYL(r), marek
---
"Little prigs and three-quarter madmen may have the conceit that the
laws of nature are constantly broken for their sakes."
Friedrich Nietzsche

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.031 / U:0.456 seconds]