SubjectRe: 2.1.92, the woes continue

I can compile 2.1.92 all day long on the 486 with 16MB ram with only 1MB
free at the start of the compile if I am running 2.1.89 or 2.0.32. I
noticed the random crashing in .91

If I remove all processes that are not needed to run (kill the name
server, gpm, ypbind, apache, etc) it will compile through while running
2.1.91 or .92. Is sure looks to me like the kernel is loosing track of
the correct status of pages and when it gets into a "swap frenzy" will
page stuff out and new stuff in while the code is being executed. It has
all apperances of something overwriting code that is executing.

What leads me to say this is that the exact nature of the compile failures
is inconsistant. It fails at different places and in different ways.
Usually a Sig 11, once a 6, always while compiling a different part of the
kernel. The only thing that is consistant is that it will not compile a
complete kernel. The behavior came abruptly with 2.1.91

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Riley Williams wrote:

> > Running again went right through. This is the oddest thing I have seen.
> > I am wondering if stuff in getting paged in on top of stuff that is
> > running. I do not yet know enough about the internals to start wading
> > through this but something is very wrong. I have no trouble with a fully
> > loaded system running .89 (none of THESE troubles, I mean).
>
> Perhaps somebody could try compiling it whilst running something like
> kernel 2.0.33 so as to ensure that it's not caused by a bug in the
> kernel you're running...
>
> Best wishes from Riley.
>

> -

George Bonser
Just be thankful that Microsoft does not manufacture pharmaceuticals.
http://www.debian.org

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.048 / U:0.292 seconds]