SubjectRe: 2.1/2.2: a.out question
Hi guys,

> Well, I've tried it both ways, and now run with a.out support NOT
> compiled in because the main program I run (SatTrack 3.1.5) runs
> considerably slower when it is compiled in.

Someone should take a look at fs/exec.c, at the top, where it
registers the binfmts. The registered binfmts go into a linked list
and new ones are registered at the *front* of the list. We could get
a performance improvement by changing either the declaration order
in binfmt_setup, or the list code in register_binfmt.

I think it would be better to change register_binfmt to add new entries
to the tail of the list, so that rarely-used formats that come from
modules would not be at the front of the list. On the other hand, if
we keep the same list ordering but invert the order in binfmt_setup,
then more recently registered formats continue to get checked in front
of older formats, which may be important semantically.

I don't have time to write a patch for this, though.

Michael Chastain
<mailto:mec@shout.net>
"love without fear"

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.206 / U:0.032 seconds]