    SubjectRe: unicode (char as abstract data type)

    On 17 Apr 1998, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

    > Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us> writes:
    >
    > > The problem is, for handling the data in applications UTF-8 is the very
    > > worst format ever invented by a human.
    >
    > You will not handled UTF-8 internally.
    >
    > UTF-8 is normally meant to be the external representation of UCS2 or
    > UCS4. Once you load a text you use iconv() or mbsrtowcs() function to
    > convert to UCS4 which then can be used internally just like 8bit
    > strings. All the functions are in place. In glibc 2.2 there will
    > finaly be the possibility to use wide-char streams so that you would
    > not even have to to the conversion yourself. Simply use fgetws or
    > whatever you want to use and it'll work.

    And how will I name the encoding that I will get from that if I don't
    use Unicode, but have it in local charset instead? People who write
    "internationalization" standards should once in a while check, if Unicode
    is now anything but the most worldwide hated charset.

    --
    Alex