Subject2.1.9x and NULL bytes inserted into NFS files

The other day, I had when I was running 2.1.91 and
libc 5.4.44 I tried to compile a c file that used to compile
fine, but got strange compile errors. I looked at the
file and found that it had nulls inserted into it,
1, 2, or some times 3 bytes on some multiple of 2 boundaries,
it didn't happen everywhere, but in the hex dump the last
2 hex digits of the address/offset were always 00.

Now today I just saw some strange behaviour in my mailbox
file where a message I read a long time ago, was all of a sudden, marked
as unread (I use pine). Again, looking at the file with a
hex dump utility, I found nulls on the 'page' boundaries, but
this time I think the corruption has been happening for a while
as there were nulls on non 256 byte boundaries also.

I have never seen this behaviour before.

Both files in question were mounted via NFS from a solaris file
server.

Before I dive into this, has anyone else seen this before?
Any ideas on where to look into this?
Any tools to use?

This seems pretty serious to me,
David Dyck
dcd@tc.fluke.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.044 / U:0.072 seconds]