SubjectRe: Help! Everything is crashing!
On Sat, Mar 28, 1998 at 10:55:07PM +1000, Dancer wrote:
> If that's the bug I think it is, it was traded in on a new bug in
> 2.1.90.

Which means what? :-)

.. and if that's the bug you think it is, what problems does it cause and
when does it appear?

The machine seems to be running just fine, in spite of those oopses. But as
I said, 2.0.32 (net 29) rebooted spontaniously after some (unknown) oopses,
which this one (2.0.31 net 29) hasn't done yet. This might be the bug that
killed my 2.0.32.

Also, I'd like to respond to the person (sorry, I forgot your name!) who
suggested I used the print-eip patch:

The print-eip patch won't help me. When my machines freak out the kernel
usually stays partialli alive, scrolling Aiee or eth0 error messages
constantly. Only rarely do they lock up completely. This would afaik make
print-eip completely pointless..

I AM interested in putting a serial console on this box though, so I won't
miss any more oopses. I may implement this today and make my stress tests
more rigorous at the same time. Just gotta find a null-modem..

To the person suggesting I avoid 3com PCI cards.. does that go for 3com ISA
cards as well? Either way, I'm having my hardware guy find me some new
hardware to test. I'll keep y'all posted..

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
bre@margmidlun.is [ THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK ]