SubjectRe: Help! Everything is crashing!
On Thu, 26 Mar 1998 ymotiwala@hss.hns.com wrote:

>My linux box running 2.0.33 and I always keep it updated. But still it
>crashes (last was yesterday), no logs..no oops..nothing nothing and
>evrything get locked, all the time same scenerio. Even can not make any
>connection to my crashed m/c from other m/cs. Aplication running at the
>time of last crash were xterm, vi and gcc. I am only user on the m/c and
>no other accounts. Any idea ?

As I just suggested to a lot of other people is getting in troubles with
2.0.33 please try my print-eip patch at www.cs.unibo.it/~arcangel

You should find all needed instruction there (if not please point me your
problems).

With that patch applyed the kernel is sure stable as 2.0.33 clean but will
run a bit slowly and X won' t work ;-(...

This because the kernel will print on the screen continuously the
execution trace addresses every time it start a new function directly on
video ram. I just discovered an hardware problem for myself using that
patch (btw the print-eip original patch and idea come form Ingo).

Basically it works since if the kernel doesn' t Oops or SysRq don' t work
you just have all you need to trace the lock on the screen.

I know that running such kind of patch on a production server for a long
time can be odd, but if your problems are very well reproducible please
use it! I just asked a lot of people to do that and I never get one
feedback ;-(((.

>On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
>
>> I dont think so. I've certainly seen no supporting evidence that 2.0.33
>> boxes are crashing for those kind of reasons.
>>
>> > One other thing.. most of my servers are based on Redhat 3.0.3, where the
>> > only upgrades that have been done were because of security bugs. Can I
>> > expect upgrading to RedHat 5.0 or 4.2 to make things more stable?
>>

>-

Andrea[s] Arcangeli

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:1.035 / U:0.776 seconds]