SubjectRe: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux
On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> > a) Tridents are SHIT! Nobody uses them and who does, either simply cannot
> > afford a better card or doesn't know what are graphics cards for.
> > Well, no comments...
>
> Fine, you cannot afford a decent card. That is OK.

That he can't afford a decent video card is OK. That the GGI people
essentially told him to go to hell when he offered to write a driver for it
is not.

> On most cards, VESA is provided by a DOS TSR. Do you really
> want to put DOSEMU in the kernel?

The DOS TSR is (as I understand it, and I gained an appreciation of VESA a
long time ago) for older cards that didn't provide the VESA INT 10h
functions themselves. With the TSR, you could use the generic VESA driver
in absence of a true driver for your card. Other, newer cards that support
VESA natively and for which the company won't provide specifications would
benefit from having some kind of VESA support. (This being said, I seem to
remember the GGI people saying something about VBE support...)

> We have an X server that disables interrupts. That should make
> you scream. (hints: user-space, swapping, SMP...)

<rant>X makes me scream anyway. It shouldn't take the better part of a
second to unmap every window on my screen and just draw the frames (if not
the whole content) on a Cyrix P166+ with a relatively decent video card,
for which Winbloze can do almost instantaneous window reorganizations.
</rant>

All this being said, I know one of the main GGI developers rather well. In
fact, his proselytizing is what provoked me to upgrade to 2.1.88 - so I
could try out GGI (which I haven't, yet).

ObSVGAlibHorrorStory: I've had four different video cards in this machine.
SVGAlib caused total system lockups with the first three[1], and doesn't
even work[2] with my current card, S3 ViRGE[3].

--
Jeffrey Sean Connell | Systems Administrator, zSolution.
ankh@canuck.gen.nz | PGP key at http://www.canuck.gen.nz/~ankh/pgpkey.html

[1]Oak (ick), Trident (double ick), S3 Trio64 clone (huh?)
[2]last I looked, although because of my experiences I haven't looked at it
in well over a year.
[3]semi-ick. Someone got a spare Matrox Millenium lying around? ;)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.524 / U:0.656 seconds]