SubjectModular Sound Driver [Was Re: 2.1.83: Sound, SB16, Modules, MIDI?]

I'm resending this as I stupidly forgot to fix up my sendmail.cf when I
upgraded to Redhat 5.0 and my From/Reply-To was messed up - Mea Culpa !

Maybe I'm missing something here, but so far, the modular sound driver seems
to have given me no benefits and a lot of extra scrabbling around.
To clarify, I have an AWE32 card. I therefore would rather like both the
sb16 and wavetable parts of the card to be activated when I'm playing with
sound.

At the moment, this involves adding various heinous post install modprobes to
/etc/conf.modules, all to achieve what used to work out of the box. I can't
safely build the sound driver into the kernel as it is a PNP card and whilst
my BIOS does seem to do a reasonable job of setting up the card reliably to
the same settings, I'd rather not trust it that far :-)

With this in mind, I have a couple of questions.

1) Are the people working on the sound module aware of this, and what is
the purpose of decomposing the sound modules below the card level ?

2) Are there any plans to enhance kerneld to support passing the major AND
minor number to allow the degree of control now required (which would solve
the problem very well) ?

3) If not, would you consider accepting patches to allow optional building of
the old monolithic sound.o module to avoid these fun and games ?

I'm not trying to rain on the parade here, it's just that I honestly don't
understand what this is buying us.

Many thanks,

Tim Wright | Aracnet -- Portland's loudest electrons
timw@aracnet.com OR | Ring +1 503 626.6873 V.34 (28800) 24hrs
timw@sequent.com | Browse http://www.aracnet.com for info!
"Nobody ever said I was charming, they said "Rimmer, you're a git!"" RD VI

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.428 / U:0.012 seconds]