Subjectgetting some user memory

I'm building a linux kernel module for arla, a free AFS client, and I'm
having some problems with the directory caching. I have a userland daemon
that serves me a cache file containing several directory entries.

In the kernel, I call the i->i_op->default_file_ops->read() to read a
block from the cache file, and then I walk through the block and do a
filldir() call for each directory entry.

The problem is that the "read" operation wants to write to user memory.
I'm currently developing my things on a sparc, so I cheat by allocating
kernel memory and let the read operation write to that memory, but that
doesn't work on other archs.

Is there some way of getting memory addressable as user space memory?

/Magnus
magnus@abc.se

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.199 / U:0.412 seconds]