SubjectRe: GGI debate and etc.
On Wed, Feb 25, 1998 at 01:02:13PM +0200, Jari Soderholm wrote:

> Yep , I also do not understand why people oppose GGI
>
> some say that GGI make kernel bigger, and then they use
> use X windows , how much memory does X take ?
>
> what does the kernel size matter if people use applications
> that take terrible amounts of memory compared to that what the kernel
> takes.
>
> There are plenty of reasons for why GGI is the best thing ever
> for Linux, and I really hate that some people are so blinded
> on their own views.

Not blinded, just indifferent. I don't want GGI in the kernel
because I don't want to waste space on my system for it's code.
Not that space is an issue, I have many megabytes free. I just
object to having to waste any of it just because some bimbo
wants graphics.

> many programmers would love to have very simple low level
> graphics interface that does not take too much time to learn and
> is fast.
>
> My personal opinion as an user who has used X windows
> for 6 years, is that X windows is dead system and keeping
> it as only choise for graphical programs and multimedia
> seriously limites interest for making graphical programs
> for Linux.

As it should be. Graphics should be an add-on for those who want
to use them. Not forced on the rest of us who don't want 'em.

I don't use X and I won't use GGI, so I will object to having either
in the kernel.