SubjectRe: GGI debate and etc.

For the academic sake of argument: What _is_ then qualified to
get into a kernel? To me it seems like Dr. Broadhurst is of the
opinion that a kernel should be minimal and not include device
dependent code. This is interresting, as it is even more minimal
than the "microkernels".

I am neither for nor against GGI (I do not know anything about
it), but I find the discussion about what goes into a kernel and
what does not rather interresting. Most argue, that the
operating system should be some abstraction over the actual
hardware - at least that's what I beleive I have read in A.S.
Tannenbaum's and/or William Stallings nice books about OSes.
Linux does at the moment go along that tradition.

I would find it most interresting if Dr. Broadhurst would
elaborate a little on his thoughts - if being off-topic here,
then private email would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

- --thomas