SubjectRe: New Feature Idea: Compress swap file
On 19 Feb 1998, Jim Pick wrote:

> > How about, when using swap, it is compressed before it is written out?
>
> Can't this already be done by using mkswap to make a swap file on a
> compressed ext2 filesystem?

Only one change is necessary: for the swap code to use readpage() instead
of bmap(). I've been meaning to ask Stephen Tweedie about this at some
stage. Presumably there's a good reason for using a bmap() interface
given that readpage() is already available. (I've been told that WinNT
uses readpage(), for example. I'm not sure how reliable that source is,
though.)

If the aim is just to save disk space, then doing this is the way that
requires least development effort.

pjm.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.083 / U:0.288 seconds]