SubjectRe: New Feature Idea: Compress swap file

I'de like to add to my own post:

This might actually increase performance while swapping (as long as there
is CPU to spare) because it can actually take less time to read compressed
data off the drive and decompress it then it would take to just read the
data (because the decompression is several times faster then the HDDs
currently available)..

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998 linker@nightshade.ml.org wrote:

> This has been done before.. My NeXT does it.. And I believe thats how
> 'ram' doubler products work.
>
> I would suggest you use LZO. It's compression isn't bad, it's not
> patented, and it decompresses fast as hell (like 40megsbytes/s on a
> 166mmx).. It's compression speed is tunable as a cratio/cspeed tradoff..
> (So you might want to use different compression levels for differnt types
> of data)..
>
> Furthermore, LZO requires very little overhead memory wise..

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.135 / U:0.440 seconds]