SubjectRE: How to read-protect a vm_area?
I looked in an i386 book. It has a Present bit and a Read/Write bit as
part of its page protection system. I think it is simply not possible
to read-protect a page without swapping it!

Apparently Intel's CPU designers don't care much about distributed sghared
memory :-)

Thanks for the information about your work. I also considered using all
the memory of a process in a DSM system, but decided not to do so. The
first reason was that it requires more changes in the kernel. The second
is that the programmer won't have much control over what is distributed
and what is not. In DIPC, the programmer knows that using the shm might
result in a network access, while other types of mem won't cause such
a thing.

-Kamran

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.057 / U:0.408 seconds]