SubjectRe: Serial mouse lockups in X11 with Linux 2.1.85
On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, root wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've noticed that my serial mouse (3-button MouseSystems on ttyS0)
> seems to lock up occaisionally under linux 2.1.85 running X11R6.
>
> Unfortunatly, I can't seem to link this to anything else happening, so
> I can't really reproduce it (it just seems to happen, but the majority
> of the time its when I switch VCs into X Windows). It seems to work
> fine after restarting xdm (with Ctrl-Alt-BS)..
>
> The same setup doesn't produce this under 2.0.33...

I have a MouseSystems mouse too (made by "A4 Tech") and I've
noticed that it's acting erradically recently. I doubt that the actual
MOUSE can somehow get "broken"...it's worked great for years in several
computers. One thing that worries me is that recently, linux seems to
detect one of my serial ports as an 8250 (it's really a 16550). But this
port isn't the mouse port. But it's still suspicious. (Could it have
something to do with the fact that there's a hewlett packard remote
control receiver plugged into that port?)
I've also noticed mouse detection failures when NT starts up.
So I'm guessing either Linux is doing something REALLY phunky
with my com ports, or I've got a hardware failure somewhere. :(
If anyone else has been having problematic mice, it'd be prolly
best to let everyone know...

--Bart

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.227 / U:0.044 seconds]