SubjectRe: Serial mouse lockups in X11 with Linux 2.1.85
Hi!

> > I've noticed that my serial mouse (3-button MouseSystems on ttyS0)
> > seems to lock up occaisionally under linux 2.1.85 running X11R6.
> >
> > Unfortunatly, I can't seem to link this to anything else happening, so
> > I can't really reproduce it (it just seems to happen, but the majority
> > of the time its when I switch VCs into X Windows). It seems to work
> > fine after restarting xdm (with Ctrl-Alt-BS)..
> >
> > The same setup doesn't produce this under 2.0.33...
>
> I have a MouseSystems mouse too (made by "A4 Tech") and I've
> noticed that it's acting erradically recently. I doubt that the actual
> MOUSE can somehow get "broken"...it's worked great for years in several
> computers. One thing that worries me is that recently, linux seems to
> detect one of my serial ports as an 8250 (it's really a 16550). But this
> port isn't the mouse port. But it's still suspicious. (Could it have
> something to do with the fact that there's a hewlett packard remote
> control receiver plugged into that port?)

How does it behave under gpm? If correctly, setup X to use
/dev/gpmdata, and add -R option to gpm. It really *should* be done
this way (until someone writes kernel mouse driver).

Pavel
--
I'm really pavel@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz. Pavel
Look at http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/ ;-).