    SubjectRe: Strings floppy problem under Linux 2.1.131.
    "Stephen C. Tweedie" wrote:
    > Hi,
    > On Mon, 07 Dec 1998 09:25:47 -0500, Michael K Vance <>
    > said:
    > >> "Device is busy" when I was unmounting /dev/fd0. I have verified that
    > >> there were no processes running at the time. I even changed to the
    > >> single use mode. I still got "Device is busy" when I was unmounting
    > > I'm getting consistent "can't unmount '/': device busy" messages
    > > when I try to reboot: 'shutdown -r 0' (for kernel upgrades, of
    > > course!), since 2.1.130.
    > This is a FAQ. New kernels are (correctly) stricter about unmounting
    > (or rather, remounting read-only) existing filesystems. Specifically,
    > you can't remount a fs readonly if there are any deleted files still
    > held open by any processes (because in that case, closing the file
    > results in an implicit delete of the data, which is illegal if the fs
    > is readonly).
    > Some versions of glibc keep /etc/ permanently mapped. If
    > you run ldconfig with such a glibc, then /sbin/init still keeps a
    > reference to the old (now deleted) version of, and so you
    > cannot remount the root. Newer glibcs unmap the file
    > after loading the libraries, so they do not have this problem.
    > --Stephen

    1. which version of glibc is good?
    2. I know this FAQed a while back, but I lost track of it (cower in
    shame), and now run into the trouble: when I shut down, I get an
    (apparently harmless) message that /usr cannot be unmounted. Could
    someone please remind me how to fix this?
    David Feuer
    Open Source: Think locally; act globally.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.020 / U:6.504 seconds]