SubjectRe: New Hardware Hack for HP 2501 A
On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >> (and scans the entire 127 keycodes that the kernel uses), but it
> >> doesn't work for prefixed scancodes.
> >
> >Unless you use MEDIUMRAW instead of RAW mode... That's what I do... IMHO we
> >should get rid of the prefixed stuff in userspace. Originally the
> >ASSUME_CUSTOM_KEYCODES was used on machines that don't have prefixed scancodes
> >only.
>
> Damn. Why didn't *I* think of this ? *smile*
>
> Yeah, I gathered that ASSUME_CUSTOM_KEYCODES relied on the lack of
> prefixed scancodes, but I had forgotten that MEDIUMRAW would get rid
> of them too. A much better idea, and it does away with the need to
> patch the X server (other than the compile time flag for MEDIUMRAW).
>
> Any idea on why this hasn't been accepted as the default way to run
> the X server ? It seems like it saves processing time, is simpler, and
> works for any keyboard with <= 127 keys (unlike the current default model).

Because of `if it ain't broken (badly), don't fix it'? Many people have been
running XFree86 in MEDIUMRAW mode, with all kinds of keyboards.

And you have to change the XKB maps for the few keys with prefixed scancodes.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be