SubjectRe: New Hardware Hack for HP 2501 A
On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >From: Matthew <matthew@mattshouse.com>
> >
> >I recently bought a computer that had an HP SK-2501-A keyboard
> >(picture at http://www.mattshouse.com/images/2501.jpg). This keyboard
> >has 13 additional keys built into the case. They are labeled according
> >to their mappings under NT 4. I hacked drivers/char/keyboard.c and
> >added/modified the following code in order to enable these keys. A
> >co-worker suggested that I post my changes here for possible inclusion
> >in the kernel releases.
>
> PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't do this. There are two reasons.
>
> First of all, setkeycodes(1) means that no kernel hack is required to get
> these keys to work.
>
> Second, your HP keyboard is not the only such keyboard to have extra
> keys (my logitech has 18 extra keys), and coding up stuff in
> keyboard.h that in any way looks keyboard specific is, IMHO, a BAD
> idea. The existing stuff in there from the Focus keyboard is a
> pain-in-the-ass backwards-don't-upset-the-users hangover, and quite
> unnecessary, as a comment in the code states quite clearly.
>
> What *is* necessary is code in X to support the keys, because
> currently, Xfree86 only looks for translated scancodes up to 0x6f
> (111). The ASSUME_CUSTOM_KEYCODES stuff that Guido (???) added is nice

Thanks, it's Geert :-)

> (and scans the entire 127 keycodes that the kernel uses), but it
> doesn't work for prefixed scancodes.

Unless you use MEDIUMRAW instead of RAW mode... That's what I do... IMHO we
should get rid of the prefixed stuff in userspace. Originally the
ASSUME_CUSTOM_KEYCODES was used on machines that don't have prefixed scancodes
only.

> I have a patch against Xfree86-3.3.3 that I intend to post in the next
> few days (probably post Xmas). I also have one planned to support the
> 4 button Logitech Trackman.

Greetings,

Geert

--