Subjectnfsroot pathology
I'm stumped on an odd nfsroot behavior I'm seeing:

NFS moves at about 8 kbaud. A 1k packet every second or so. It takes
hours to boot (it's never made it all the way up). This is on 100bT
media.

This doesn't happen if I boot the client off the hard drive & nfs mount the
same directories. In that case it runs at a normal speed.

What difference would there be in the networking between nfsroot mounting
and mounting after the machine is up? On an isolated hub?

Even stranger, on two occasions -- without changing anything -- after running
slow for about a minute, it suddenly started running at normal speed (and
went through the boot sequence very quickly until it choked on something
else I haven't sorted out yet). This sudden change of speed by many orders
of magnitude seemed completely random.

The client in question is a Versa 486 with a pcmcia Linksys Etherfast 10/100.
I'm booting from floppy with an initrd that holds the pcmcia & network
modules.

The server is a 586 with a 3com905.

I've tried this with kernels 2.0.35 and 2.0.36 (on both ends).

Anyone know what could cause this? I've been messing with the NFS parameters,
but haven't settings which affect this. It appears that the first major
timeout occurs before anything hits the wire: tcpdump on the server shows
no activity (not even an ARP) before the 1st "NFS server not responding"
message (with retrans=3).

b.c.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.199 / U:0.280 seconds]