SubjectRe: pre*-6 breaks PCMCIA again

> Would you accept pcmcia stuff in standard kernel? Is it 2.2 or 2.3
> issue? (I'd love to be able to boot from pcmcia network card...)

I don't see any chance of it happening in the 2.2 time frame.

As for booting from a pcmcia network card... it should be said that
the separate PCMCIA distribution doesn't have any real impact on what
features are supported. You can't link PCMCIA directly into the
kernel, but you can create PCMCIA initrd images, so you can create a
boot disk for a PCMCIA root filesystem (either on a PCMCIA SCSI device
or NFS over a PCMCIA network card).

Putting PCMCIA completely in the kernel would be a fair amount of work
for not much benefit: you could, I guess, link client drivers into the
kernel as well as the core PCMCIA code, but PCMCIA also uses a daemon
for identifying cards and binding the appropriate drivers. You could
also roll that into the kernel, along with the database of card
identification information. And in fact, I did it a couple years ago
as an experiment. But I think the module-based initrd route is a
cleaner solution.

-- Dave Hinds

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.066 / U:0.108 seconds]