SubjectRe: NCP without IPX
Hello,
kernel handles NCP over IP since about 2.1.98 together with
ncpfs-2.2.0.7 (or newer). Because of NW5 is now released to public,
I decide to remove (now obsolete) restriction to IPX - it can
run over IPv4 UDP or over IPX.
Unfortunately, there are three problems with NCP over UDP:
1) broadcast messages are not received. In IPX, there is special socket
for NCP communication, another for connection watchdog and another
for signalization from server (SFT3 switch, broadcast message pending).
In NCP/UDP it is multiplexed over one socket. Unfortunately, currently
used scheme to access NCP socket is not able to inform someone about
"unexpected" data receive - they are simple buffered in and eventualy
dropped after some code tries read this socket. Watchdog replies are
send automaticaly every 60 secs without asking from server (by ncpd) :-(
2) NCP/TCP is not used because of I have no access to such implementation
at this time (Novell refused to give me non-NDA infos about NCP/UDP :-( )
3) NCP/UDP does not use SLP (service location protocol), it uses simple
DNS. Novell Client32 allows you to select from SLP or DNS (or LMHOSTS
or everything). I'm using standard libc resolver, so if you create
/lib/libnss_slp.so.1, it could work... Maybe (it also implies that
/etc/hosts and nis could work).

And if I'm talking here about ncp, there is known bug (at least with
NW5 Beta3, I do not have access to NW5 final yet) that NFS namespace
is not correctly supported on Z filesystem. If you are using such system,
you must use parameter "-N nfs" to ncpmount (or do not compile
NFS support into kernel). Otherwise you'll see empty directory on
public beta 2 or older. Or only first directory item on beta 3.
OS/2 and DOS namespaces works OK; but 64-bit file sizes are not supported,
there are no information from Novell about new, 64bit aware, NCP services
(and there are no clients around me which can do this).
Best regards,
Petr Vandrovec
vandrove@vc.cvut.cz

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.034 / U:0.060 seconds]