    SubjectRe: new processes very slow on otherwise responsive system (2.1.127 and 128)
    On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Simon Kirby wrote:

    > I just tried 2.1.129pre1 + arca-19 (less the lp stuff that got rejected),
    > and I was able to replicate this problem with the kernel compiled to UP.
    > It just happened 30 seconds ago, actually, and lasted for about 3 minutes.
    > During this time, I filled every console I have with current IP values,
    > which I will be looking at shortly to see if I can see where the loop is.
    >
    > BTW...I triggered this with:
    >
    > find usr -type f -print | tmp/fork-test 2
    >
    > ("fork-test" posted on linux-kernel not so long ago)
    >
    > And it started to freeze up shortly after 11800 children.
    >
    > I will send another email if/when I can figure out what is happening.

    Not much luck. It's looping not very tightly through schedule() over and
    over again. It seems like some timer-triggered problem as when I add
    printk()s, I can't replicate the problem. May be related to why it
    doesn't happen with SMP kernels, too.

    Hmm. :)

    Simon-

    | Simon Kirby | Systems Administration |
    | mailto:sim@netnation.com | NetNation Communications |
    | http://www.netnation.com/ | Tech: (604) 684-6892 |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.024 / U:0.732 seconds]