    SubjectRe: new processes very slow on otherwise responsive system (2.1.127 and 128)
    On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > >on both 2.1.127 and 2.1.128, heavy exec() (with a fair bit of I/O)
    > >seems to cause the system to go into a busy wait state. during this
    > >time, it is difficult/impossible/very slow to launch any new
    > >processes.
    > Could you try again on my tree
    > and feedback?
    > I changed schedule_timeout() to avoid inserting the timeout timer if the
    > function is been recalled by a proces in in TASK_RUNNING state. That make
    > tons of sense. schedule_timeout() will also log if it's been recalled with
    > a state != TASKrunning or != TASK interruptible.

    I just tried 2.1.129pre1 + arca-19 (less the lp stuff that got rejected),
    and I was able to replicate this problem with the kernel compiled to UP.
    It just happened 30 seconds ago, actually, and lasted for about 3 minutes.
    During this time, I filled every console I have with current IP values,
    which I will be looking at shortly to see if I can see where the loop is.

    BTW...I triggered this with:

    find usr -type f -print | tmp/fork-test 2

    ("fork-test" posted on linux-kernel not so long ago)

    And it started to freeze up shortly after 11800 children.

    I will send another email if/when I can figure out what is happening.

    | Simon Kirby | Systems Administration |
    | | NetNation Communications |
    | | Tech: (604) 684-6892 |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:36.260 seconds]