SubjectRe: Large DPT RAID-5 "drive" reporting wrong size under fdisk... (help)
Date
In article <cistron.363C7C62.9E0F451C@la.usweb.com>,
Jeff Wiegley <jeff@la.usweb.com> wrote:
>We just upgraded the size and number of drives on a DPT controller.
>Now the controller has 7 18gig drives on it for a total of 104Gig
>(in RAID-5 configuration). (note: that is 18 (eighteen) not 8 (eight)
>as somebody incorrectly read and answer a recent news article on
>a very similar problem.
>
>The problem is that when the EATA-DMA driver starts up it correctly
>reports /dev/sda as having 213395712 sectors. which works out to
>104gig (or so).
>
>but fdisk reports this:

[nothing..] that's not much :)

>2) what the values for heads, cylinders and sectors should really be?
> The DPT configuration utility doesn't seem to present any sane values.
> only the DPT bios reports 65535/64/32 which is meaningless and no where
> near 104Gig as well.

I have no idea, but perhaps the Linux kernel will work something
out for you. Fdisk (and the kernel) take CHS from the partition table,
if a valid partition table is present. I assume your drives have been
used before, so there might be old information on it.

Wipe out the partition table on the disks with something like

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1k count=1

Then reboot, and try again ..

HTH

Mike.
--
... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking
zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs.