SubjectLarge DPT RAID-5 "drive" reporting wrong size under fdisk... (help)
Sorry to bug everyone with what should be a simple problem but its
(now) Sunday and I've been at this problem for over 12 hours straight
and I have 100 employees expecting to work on Monday and the fileserver
is down.

We just upgraded the size and number of drives on a DPT controller.
Now the controller has 7 18gig drives on it for a total of 104Gig
(in RAID-5 configuration). (note: that is 18 (eighteen) not 8 (eight)
as somebody incorrectly read and answer a recent news article on
a very similar problem.

The problem is that when the EATA-DMA driver starts up it correctly
reports /dev/sda as having 213395712 sectors. which works out to
104gig (or so).

but fdisk reports this:

I think this is the age old problem of having to specify cylinders/heads
and sector figures manually to fdisk but I don't know two things:
1) how to specify these parameters to fdisk or whether I also need to
put them on a lilo.conf command line thingy, and
2) what the values for heads, cylinders and sectors should really be?
The DPT configuration utility doesn't seem to present any sane values.
only the DPT bios reports 65535/64/32 which is meaningless and no where
near 104Gig as well.

Please help me out if you can I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

- Jeff (oh yea, he's got the money for the hardware but doesn't know jack)

--
J E F F W I E G L E Y, Ph.D.
Systems Analyst

USWeb - A Strategic Partner for the Information Age

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.031 / U:0.928 seconds]