SubjectRe: network nicety

On Wed, Oct 07, 1998 at 06:41:31PM -0400, David Feuer wrote:
> If this has been rejected or implemented before, please let me know,
> but....
> I am often frustrated that when I am running a network-intensive
> long-term process (generally a big FTP download), I get a big slowdown
> of burst-oriented interactive use (email, web browser, etc.). This is a
> particular problem since I am using a PPP connection. I have a couple
> ideas for solving this problem, and similar ones.
If you are in a fast enough link (it works for 64kbps ... should be
efective on fast modems) you can use the shaper interface available in 2.1
and 2.0.36 to control the input bandwith with something like flow control.
If you limit the trafic on the upwards link to a ridiculous low speed (1 to
20 bps or such) you will strangle the tcp ACKs thus making the other peer
stop sending after the tcp window is full.
On a slow link this should not be efective ...:\

> First, I think that programs should have a netnice value (nnice?), along
> with a nice value. When transmitting packets, lower niceness processes
> (or threads.....) get higher priority. So if I were running a
> significant-use ftp server, I could set the netnice for my ftp server to
> 13, allowing other processes on my machine to have better

Limiting upstream bandwith with shaper is trivial. Providing you have
connections to diferent machines (shaper is network interface - you can use
on a per route basis).

[snip snip]

See Quality of Service. Wait for it ehhe.

- --
Carlos Morgado - -
PGP Key fingerprint = 43 BF 53 98 EB 32 F5 17 9E EB 77 1F 57 8C C6 83
UNIX is user friendly. It's just very carefull choosing his friends.

Version: 2.6.3i
Charset: noconv