    SubjectRe: network nicety
    Hi Simon.

    On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Simon Kenyon wrote:

    > On 08-Oct-98 Bob Lanning wrote:

    >> It is very hard to implement something like this. The data
    >> channel for ftp has no real identification in it. The best way of
    >> doing this is in the application.

    > dare i suggest that *not* being able to identify traffic is good
    > it might only be an ftp to you, but to me it might be that upgrade
    > of some software that will rescue me from hackers, or a new release
    > for a customer who is threatening to sue, or ...

    > you get my point (maybe)

    Sure - you're saying that just because you're downloading an
    application for a customer, nobody else should be able to use that
    link - and I have to say that I disagree with that viewpoint.

    IMHO, the fact that an FTP transfer will automatically grab 100% of
    the bandwidth of one's primary link given the slightest chance can
    only be bad - and the same applies to any other protocol. What I'd
    like to see is some form of bandwidth limiting system which prevents
    any one protocol from grabbing more than 90% of the bandwidth to
    itself, but which allows any protocol to use all otherwise unused
    bandwidth if it needs it, but automatically relinquishes the excess
    bandwidth as soon as anything else needs it.

    Best wishes from Riley.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:4.646 / U:0.244 seconds]