SubjectRe: CVS server for linux kernel [was Re: Kernel 2.0.36pre11 uploaded]
On Sat, 03 Oct 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> Also if someone has a good way of efficiently replicating a 40Mb CVS
> tree over a modem to an anonymous cvs server let me know. Then I can look
> at putting 2.0.37pre1 or whatever under CVS

If the remote server is simply for anon read-only access only, then you
could use rsync (http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync). However if there's going
to be changes to the remote cvs repository that are not reflected in your
local copy, you're SOL unless using something like Bitkeeper which has the
capability of merging two files with a common ancestor. Even then, you'd
have to have a damn good knowledge about what the code is doing (as I
suspect you do in most cases ;) so that the merge doesn't produce further
complications.

--
Matt