SubjectRe: SCHED_IDLE patch
On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 09:46:33AM +0200, Rik van Riel wrote:

> This time, I was referring to the nice +20 hack that was
> posted yesterday. Thinking about it, I think that most
> sysadmins and power users might actually prefer the nice +20
> hack over a new scheduling class -- what do you think?

I'm a sysadmin. I use that "gross hack" for about 1.5 years now. I even
write my own utility for it (and the other rt scheudling stuff).

Normal unix behaviour is useless if you want to

a) work on a machine
b) have long-running non-interactive jobs

Anyway, both irix and hpux have this feature (and yes, it uses a different
scheduling class), and I'm wondering all the time why linux (the best os
available) lacks so much in this respect ;)

> OK, I will integrate your patch, maybe with the nice +20
> part, maybe with the SCHED_IDLE priority, depending on what
> mechanism most people want...

I actually use nice +20 or nice +100 or whatever quite often. Thats very
unintuitive. Having this a different class is much much saner ;)

> OK people, please keep this in mind when thinking about whether
> you want nice +20 or a special scheduling class. Personally I
> don't _see_ much of a difference (from an end-user pov, that is),
> but I know there is.

The disadvantage is that you need a special utilitiy, but anyway, I just use
rtprio (my own invention) to start and change scheduling classes, we just
need a tool (maybe nice/renice could be extended...)

The choice of a GNU generation |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:0.036 seconds]